Vedic astrology, also called Jyotish astrology, is an ancient science based on the Vedic scriptures of India.
Astrology charts are based on the date, time, and place of birth. A horoscope is like a snapshot of the cosmos at the moment of your birth. It shows the placement of the planets and the interactions between them.
The difference between Western astrology and Vedic astrology is that the Western astrological system is based on the tropical zodiac, and the Vedic system is based on the sidereal zodiac. In western astrology, more importance is given to the sun sign, and in Vedic astrology, more focus is on the moon sign. Both systems are accurate, but Western astrology will tell you more about a person’s characteristics or personality, where Vedic astrology can see the bigger picture including the past, present, and future events.
A Vedic astrological reading can reveal your karmic tendencies. When we are unaware of our karmic patterns, we act unconsciously and make decisions which may not be the most beneficial for us. Awareness of our inherent karmic patterns can help us practice our free will; to make the decisions we need to to overcome difficulties in this life and to have discrimination when making new decisions.
Questions to Ask a Vedic Astrologer
At the beginning of your reading, an astrologer will tell you about what they perceive to be the most important features of your chart. You can ask questions as issues arise, as you may find that many of your concerns or questions come up during this period. If you have matters that were not addressed in the initial reading, then be sure to ask them as well as any follow-up questions that are needed.
Below are some sample questions which will give you an idea of what kinds of things are usually asked in a Vedic astrology reading.
- What is the general outlook of my health?
- Do I have any tendencies for disease?
- When will I recover from my current ailment?
- What can I do to help myself recover from my current ailment?
- When is a good time for surgery/operations?
- When is the best time to start a detoxification/cleansing program/diet?
- What type of job should I pursue? What career am I most suited for?
- What course of training/education should I enroll in? What are good fields/subjects for me to study?
- When is a good time to change my job/career?
- Will I be successful at _____ profession?
- Should I start my own business?
- Is it beneficial to take on a business partner?
- How many more years will I be working?
- When is good time to retire?
Wealth and Finances:
- Will my finances improve? When?
- When will I be out of debt?
- What can I do to increase my finances?
- Which areas can I make money?
- When is a good time to invest my money?
- Will my current investments be profitable?
- Will I receive an inheritance? When?
- When will I meet a compatible partner?
- Is my current partner a good match for me?
- Will I stay with my current partner?
- Should I move in with my boyfriend/girlfriend?
Family and Children:
- Is my family well?
- Will I have children/grandchildren?
- Do my children have any tendencies for disease?
- What is a good time to conceive a child?
- What will the gender of my child be?
- How can I improve my relationship with my partner/family/boss/colleagues, etc…?
- Are there any foreseeable disputes/problems coming up between me and my partner/family/friends, etc…?
- Will I reunite with a lost lover/friend/family member?
- Where is a good place (city/country) for me to live or work?
- When is a good time to move city/country?
- When is a good time to buy or sell a house?
- When will I make the most profit from my home sale?
- Is it beneficial for me to purchase land?
- When is a good time to travel?
- Which countries are good for me to travel to?
- Will my trip to _____ be beneficial for me?
- Will I be safe in my travel to ______?
- Should I rent out my house while I am away?
- Is there a particular spiritual path/religion that is beneficial for me?
- Should I take a spiritual initiation from _____ teacher/guru?
- When is a good time for me to participate in a meditation retreat?
- What hobbies/sports are best for me?
- Where is a particular object that I lost?
- What are good colors for me to wear?
- What color should I paint my house/room?
Tips for Formulating and Asking Questions
- Write down your questions and bring them to your reading.
- Be clear and straightforward in your questions.
- Ask only one question at a time, and give adequate time for the response.
- Ask for more details if the answer was unclear.
- Ask questions in the positive (e.g. “Should I start a business with _____?”, rather than, “Should I not start a business with ____ ?”)
- Avoid either/or questions (e.g. “Should I study ______ or should I go to school for _____?”). It is better to divide such questions into two separate questions.
- Avoid if/then questions (e.g. “If I move to _____ city will I be more successful?”). Ask instead, “Should I move to _____ city?” and then depending on the response you can use a follow-up question if it is needed.
Astrological Gemstones for Correcting Weaknesses in Your Chart
A Vedic astrologer will often recommend a gemstone to balance out any planetary weaknesses in your chart. Usually, the stone will be one of the nine stones which correspond to the major planets and nodes, but other stones may also be prescribed.
The 9 main gemstones which are associated with the main celestial bodies are:
- Sun – Ruby
- Moon – Pearl
- Mercury – Emerald
- Venus – Diamond
- Mars – Red Coral
- Jupiter – Yellow Sapphire
- Saturn – Blue Sapphire
- North Node (Rahu) – Gomed (Hessonite)
- South Node (Ketu) – Cat’s Eye
Important Details about the Gemstone
If you are prescribed a gemstone after your Vedic astrology reading it is very important that you get all the details about:
Size: some stones require a minimum of four karats to be effective while others can be as small as one karat.
Shape: sometimes certain stones are best when in a particular shape. Typical shapes used in Vedic astrology are oval, triangle, and square/rectangle.
Clarity: Clarity is a very important factor with certain gemstones – in some circumstances choosing an unclear stone can cause a negative result.
Setting: the gemstone may be able to be set as either a ring or a pendant, but in some cases it must be a ring. In either case, it is important that the gemstone touches the skin, so be sure to get a setting with an open back.
Hand/Finger: if you are prescribed a ring, you must clarify on which hand and finger the stone is to be worn because each of the stones has a correspondence with a particular finger.
Metal: the most common metals for an astrological ring are gold, silver, and copper. Each metal has a different energy, and the astrologer will prescribe the one which is best suited for you.
Day: In Vedic astrology each planet corresponds to a day of the week. It is usually advised to start wearing the stone on the day which corresponds to the planet which you are trying to balance.
Ritual: The night before you are to start wearing your astrological ring or pendant you will need to do a small ritual for energizing and purifying the stone. It is a very simple procedure and usually involves soaking the ring in a particular substance (honey, milk, etc…), then washing it with clean water in the morning before wearing it.
*** Do not try and search for the above details in books or on the internet. You can read about them, but remember that all of these things depend on your individual situation, and only an experienced Vedic astrologer can make a correct prescription for you. All you can do on your end is to make sure that you get all the necessary information before setting and wearing your gemstone. Below is a table which you may want to bring to your reading so you can fill in all the details.
|Your Gemstone Details||Additional Notes:|
|Ring or Pendant|
|Day of the week|
Ceremonies for Correcting Weaknesses in Your Chart
Another recommendation you may receive from a Vedic astrologer is to have a ritual or ceremony performed on your behalf. This involves the hire of a Brahmin priest. Some ceremonies may take only one day, but others can take 15 days, it depends on your situation. Sometimes a person will have to be present for the ceremony, while in other circumstances, the priest recites a mantra for you without any participation on your part, except that it is usually advised that you fast on the day which your ceremony begins.
Vedic ceremonies have more power than gemstones, and sometimes a ceremony can be substituted in place of wearing a ring or pendant. You may have to ask your astrologer if this is an option for you.
Gemstones and ceremonies are not always interchangeable; sometimes the prescription must be a gemstone, and in some cases, it must be a ritual.
If you decide to have a ceremony the astrologer can arrange it for you or he will give you the details of the ceremony so you can find a priest to do it for you. It is obviously easier to find a Brahmin priest in India than it will be in Western countries, but if the ritual does not require your physical presence you can arrange for it to be done in India while you are in another location.
Where to Get a Vedic Astrology Reading
If you are interested in a Vedic astrology reading, I highly recommend Prateek Mishrapuri, who is based in Rishikesh, India. He also travels and gives readings throughout Europe, North America, and Australasia and can also do distance readings via skype. I have had multiple readings with Prateek in person and from a distance and found him to be very accurate.
*** Note: To receive the benefits from your Vedic astrology reading, and your gemstone or ceremony it is important that the money used to pay for these items and services comes out of your own pocket not as a gift from someone else.
If you want to learn more about Vedic astrology and astrological gemstones the following books may be useful:
- Harish Johari, The Healing Power of Gemstones: In Tantra, Ayurveda, and Astrology
- Maharishi Parasara, Brihat Parasara Hora Sastra : Guide to Hindu Astrology