Making cards is a fun way to connect with yourself, reflect on your needs for self-care, and create a tool to help you take more time for self-nourishment. Self-care is an essential, but often overlooked aspect of health and well-being.
This article outlines how to create your own personalized deck of self-care cards which you can pull from when you feel stressed or overwhelmed; the cards will guide you to how you can care for yourself at that moment. You can make your cards as unique as you; there are no rules – include any images or words which invite you to take time for self-care.
- Sturdy paper (card stock or watercolour paper)
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Glue stick
- Collage Materials (magazines, postcards, photos, stickers)
- Quick drying paint (watercolour, tempera, or acrylic)
- Markers or Sharpies
- Sealant (gloss or matte medium)
- Laminator and Pouches *optional*
1. Make a list or a mind map of what self-care means to you. You can include activities that you find relaxing or nourishing, inspiring quotes or words that remind you to take time out to nurture yourself. If you are having trouble coming up with ideas, see the list of self-care activities or read quotes on self-care.
2. Using the pencil and ruler, draw out equal sized cards and cut them out. You may not know at this point how many cards you want to make. It is better to create more blank cards that you think you need as it is likely that you will want to add more to your deck later.
3. Create a card for each self-care activity or inspiration. Be creative in how you represent what nourishes you by using paint, collage, personal photos, symbols, quotes, individual words, and phrases. The cards can be as detailed or as simple as you like.
5. Use your cards often 🙂
Photos: Michelle Leela Grace